Sunday 11 December 2011

Deep Deep Deepest Trouble Ever

I write this blog in trepidation knowing that it is now almost impossible for me to return home!

I am sitting in the dark quietly munching an Italian Fish and Chips carry out, having walked a very very beautiful women home.

I mean I did not expect to get into trouble tonight. I mean sometimes a man goes out and hopes trouble might fall upon him, but tonight it came out of the blue!

I had arranged to meet Denise for drinks at 7pm at the local Italian restaurant. Some of you will remember that Denise worked at Solace when Roger and I arrived in Kigali 15 months ago, but then left for good reason

Well I had contacted her thinking we could have a coffee together and catch up on news. She suggested 7pm after church and mentioned she had a couple of gifts that it would be great if I could deliver to Callum, Dunbar, and Dumbarton - where her Scottish family live.

Well no problem there. Aye Right!

First I get a taximoto to the restaurant. I am just arriving when lying sprawled and motionless is a body - no movement at all. Sundays are always like this I find! Off duty and whether you are out in the fresh air in Kigali, or minding your own business in Church, there is always someone trying to play the dead person, and this one seemed pretty dead.

There was a car ahead and it looked like an accident. I went to check, blood from mouth, no breathing, no movement, but yes a pulse. Is the ambulance on its way - no coherent answer - they speak some foreign language here(!) and I speak only English.

Check him further for airway and he suddenly sits up. He is always doing this his friend responds - epilepsy, and the car was just stopping to help. Eventually the army arrive, and he is fine and I beetle off for my date (oops meeting).

So Denise arrives with a large parcel, and we have much chat about many things, including family, parents,  work, and finally Christmas. She tells me about last Christmas when she was in Scotland, and how much she will miss not seeing her Scottish family this year, and how much she wanted to give them cards and presents!



So, because the presents were not wrapped and the cards were not written, I spent the evening helping her,  in the Italian Restaurant, to get all these ready so that I could take them to Scotland with me.

So what's the deep deep trouble you ask. Well, before I left for Rwanda I absolutely promised Fiona that I would definitely get the labels done for our Christmas cards, and yes, you have guessed it, I did not do it.


To make matters worse yesterday Fiona texted me to say she had done nearly all our cards - just leave the labels and I will do them on Wednesday when I am back I txt. - the addresses are all done she replies - NO, NO, NO!!! Doomed!

I am in deep deep trouble. I have spent a great evening chatting with a  beautiful women, helped her with her cards and presents, am delivering them to Scotland for her, and I have not done anything to help my wife.

I cannot come home. How could such a nice evening out have such a twist to it? What could I do - she asked me to help her!

Oh Deep Trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment